Monday, March 19, 2018

SOL 19/31: Unscheduled Time!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Melanie, and Lanny
 for hosting this meeting place each day in March
and for nurturing our writing lives.

When I rose at 5:30 am on Friday to get ready for our book club retreat, I must admit that I grumbled a bit, wondering why we were leaving so early. But as the early arrivals headed for the small town on Vashon Island, I was rewarded with the realization that we leave early so that we can enjoy unscheduled time together. We're open to whatever grabs our fancy! And after an early lunch,
 and a stop by a local landmark, the bicycle in the tree, 
we were enticed by a sign at the arts center
to meander through a quilt show. 
Here are a few pics from that show. We loved the stories behind the quilts almost as much as the quilts themselves.  


This is a community quilt created in 1994.
I love this quilt block of a 3-D raccoon!
You can see the bicycle in a tree on the 3rd row of this quilt.

Here are two of my favorite quilts with their stories:


Be sure to stop by tomorrow to discover 
what happened when Debora disappeared!

6 comments:

  1. I love those times when I can follow whatever grabs my fancy! Looks like a great afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former quilter, I love this post! These pieces of artwork are exquisite! It also makes me miss quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being fancy free does allow for fun stops like the quilt show, even if you have to get up early. What talent in the creation of those quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an amazing group, your book club! This retreat sounds heavenly. The quilts are amazing, too. I think Family Ties is destined to be a priceless family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was Ramona’s eye that caught the sign for the quilt show, and her child-like wonder that encouraged us to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say about the joy you are sharing?

    First, The quote from Barry Lopez is jut right.

    The quilts are simply beautiful. I also like the Raccoon one. Last year, for our local quilt show, a family had made generation quilt to gift their grandma. Your generation quilt brought all the memory back to me.

    Best wishes.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba

    ReplyDelete